The main law limiting the age of workers is the Fair Labor Standards Act, which states that 14 is the minimum age for admission to work.
Jobs that hire at 14
Now more and more teenagers are showing an interest in getting a job and making money in order to cover their wants and needs. Each of them pursues its own goals: while one wants to raise money for the first car or a summer trip, the other wants to understand how the money is earned. It doesn’t matter what goals a teenager pursues, because in any case, desire to earn money on your own is very commendable!
However, many teens have no idea what jobs hire at 14 and where they can find jobs that are right for them. Explore the basic options that can help you find a job!
Places that hire at 14-15
While the hiring process varies depending on the store and region you choose, many companies offer jobs to teens aged 14-15. In order to find out about the individual requirements of companies in your area, you can contact them and ask all your questions. So what kind of companies are hiring at age 14-15?
- Bruster’s. This company employs members of the company who are 14 years of age or older in accordance with the labor laws of the state where you reside. You should also check the policies of the stores near you to make sure you can work at 14.
- Kroger & affiliates. You can apply for baggers or stockers ages 14 and older if you have a proper work permit.
- Palace entertainment. You can become a member of the team from 14 years of age and older and apply for positions in Park Services, Parking Attendant, Admission and so on.
- AMC Theaters. This company employs concession workers and ushers 14 and older in selected locations. So you can call the place where you want to work and see if they can hire you at 14 or 15.
- Giant Foods. If you want to work in this company, you should pay attention to the fact that many of their locations are also employees from 14 years old.
- McDonald’s. Many teenagers want to get a job at McDonald’s at the age of 14-15. It’s actually possible, but not all McDonald’s restaurants employ teenagers.
- Safeway & affiliates. You can work for this baggers company if you have a work permit and are at least 14 years old.
Many other companies such as Chick-fil-A, Dairy Queen, Fareway, Baskin-Robbins, Giant Eagle, Culver’s and others hire teenagers from the age of 14.
Thus, as you can see, finding a part-time job is not as difficult as it seems, as more and more companies offer vacancies for teenagers 14-15 years old. However, even if you choose one of the suggested locations, you still have to call them and make sure they are hiring teenagers.
What laws affect adolescent hiring?
Of course, in order for a teenager to get a job, it is necessary to study the laws that limit the age at which you can get a job. The main law that you need to pay attention to is the Fair Labor Standards Act, according to which 14 years is the minimum age for admission to work for non-agricultural employment. Also note that there are limits on the number of hours a teenager can work, and there are certain types of work that a teenager can do.
So, for a 14-15 year old teenager, any work should be done outside of school hours. It is also worth knowing that a teenager cannot work more than 3 hours on any school day, as well as more than 8 hours a day when he doesn’t need to go to school. Thus, during school hours, you cannot work more than 18 hours a week and you cannot work more than 40 hours a week when the school is not working.