First of all, you need to talk to the culprit, identify the reason, explain that you and other employees are uncomfortable with disrespect on his part, and contact the HR department if the situation does not change.
What To Do When Your Boss Disrespects You?
Many people face humiliation and disrespect at work for no good reason. Many workers try to stay on schedule and complete their assigned tasks, but sometimes this does not happen due to circumstances beyond their control. Sometimes couriers are late, and this interferes with the daily routine, sometimes other workers do not have time to complete their part of the work, which causes others to suffer, and sometimes someone gets sick and has to do the work for him. Most often, in such cases, the boss does not want to hear explanations and excuses, and breaks out in an angry tirade at the employee whom he considers to be guilty in this situation. Does the person deserve this disrespect? Of course not. Worst of all, more often than not, the boss yells and humiliates the employee in front of other team members, which negatively affects both his condition and productivity.
Now on the Internet there are a huge number of such requests as “confronting a disrespectful boss”, “my boss is rude to me”, “my manager is rude” and so on. So, how to stand up to a rude boss? Read on for more details.
What Is Disrespect?
Disrespectful behavior, like rudeness, can take many forms. As a rule, this implies a violation of social norms, etiquette, the absence of accepted polite behavior, and so on. Of course, when someone is mean to you for no reason is also a sign of disrespect on his part. If your boss or manager is behaving offensively, aggressively, inattentively, or dishonestly, that is disrespect in the workplace.
Of course, you must understand that being rude and disrespectful means different things to different people. It may also depend on the place where you are working. More often than not, in fast food restaurants or other similar establishments, screaming in the kitchen is considered normal, since the chef can rush the workers in this way. However, if you work in an office, then this behavior is most often considered disrespectful and unacceptable.
Often rudeness is a way to show your strength and power, a way to get your way, a way to intimidate employees. However, none of these reasons is the norm, so you shouldn’t be rude and disrespectful in the workplace anyway.
Signs Your Boss Doesn’t Respect You
Of course, there are many signs that indicate that your boss does not respect you. This can manifest itself both in his aggressive behavior and in less noticeable things. Explore the main ones:
- The boss ignores your needs. A good leader wants to see that you are happy with the job and do it well. Thus, he must provide you with good equipment, working conditions, a comfortable environment and so on. If you need to repair your computer or provide you with the data you need to work, and your boss does not (although you informed him of your needs), he does not respect you.
- Your boss doesn’t respect your personal boundaries. Of course, there are emergency projects when you have to stay late or take work home. However, if your boss loads you with additional work all the time, most likely he is not interested in the fact that in addition to work you have your own life, family, that you need rest and so on.
- The boss constantly rejects your ideas. If you constantly come up with new ideas for the good of the company that will benefit the team, but the boss constantly ignores them or muzzles you, this is clearly a sign of disrespect.
- The boss prevents you from progressing. If you feel ready to do more work or climb the career ladder, but your boss doesn’t give you a chance to prove yourself and doesn’t hear your desire to progress, he probably doesn’t respect you either.
- The boss scolds or yells at you. If your boss shows you inappropriate behavior, such as humiliation and yelling, this is a huge sign of disrespect that should not be overlooked.
How To Handle Disrespect In The Workplace?
If you don’t know how to deal with a rude boss or manager and resist this behavior, you will most likely be in a bad mood, which will affect your performance and cause another fit of anger. Thus, there are several ways and strategies you need to learn to help you deal with rude boss or manager:
- Be a good example. First of all, you must monitor your behavior and make sure that it is worthy not only in relation to your boss, but also to all other team members. A good way to stop spreading rudeness is to be a good example to others.
- Do not disregard rudeness. If you ignore rude behavior, you show that it is acceptable and you will tolerate it.
- Talk to the culprit. The first thing to do if you are faced with rudeness or disrespect is to talk to the culprit. You must remain calm and polite, as well as operate on facts that indicate disrespectful behavior on his part. Make it clear that you and others are uncomfortable and want the situation to change.
- Give an opportunity to explain. First of all, listen to the person and try to understand what provoked him in order to develop a plan of action in order to avoid such situations.
- Watch out for the culprit. After you come to an agreement, you should keep an eye on this person to make sure that similar situations do not arise. Otherwise, you will need to contact the HR department or higher authorities.
Important! The above points apply not only to your boss, but also to other employees, respectively. If you don’t know how to deal with a coworker who is trying to get you fired or with a manager who doesn’t manage, you can follow the same steps to resolve the situation.